Tuesday, June 13, 2006

London Weather

Here in London the weather is always a good topic for conversation. When I arrived on Saturday it was pleasantly warm, however it was 8:00 AM. Later that day it got hotter and hotter. As I've said before, the past three days have been in the 80's. Since I live on the fourth floor, my room is stuffy and hot, even at night. You know the saying: hot air rises. It's true. My roommate and I keep the window open to let some fresh air in, but there is never a breeze. Sunday, my roommate caved in and bought a fan. I'm determined to save money and not buy one myself. Another reason not to is the fact that I won't be able to take it home with me at the end of the second session. I don't really mind the heat. I take a cold shower before bed and I sleep on top of the bed covers and I'm fine. Living in a building without air conditioning is part of the experience of being in London anyway.

This morning, however, I woke to the pleasant surprise of rain. I stuck half my body out of the small window opening and watched the street below and the locals with their umbrellas. It was nice and cool. I loved it. This is the London weather I was expexting. The rain stopped mid morning when I was in class. The sky remained overcasted and it was slightly warm.



Some of my new friends and I went walking in Hyde Park after lunch. The park was full of little kids praticing football (soccer) and cricket. We also saw soldiers from the barracks training and people riding their horses as well. We walked for a while till we noticed that the weather was slowly changing and we felt litle drops fall on our face. We decided that we should head back towards the dorms and after taking a few group pictures we did. Half way there, however, did it start raining. It wasn't a light rain and it wasn't a down pour. It was just a medium rain, but it came on very fast.



Earlier today I checked the weather and it said that it wasn't going to rain the rest of the day, so we didn't bring our umbrellas. One thing you must learn while living in London is, bring your umbrella even if only partly cloudy skies is forecasted. We walked back to the Albert Hotel to let Sarah, my newest friend, change and get her umbrella. From there we continued on back to the Atlantic House where Cyndie and I changed.

Even though we got drenched wet, we didn't care. It was fun and refreshing. What was funny was that with the heat in the house as I climbed the stairs and as I changed in my room, I was drying off fast.

As of now the forcast for the city is in the mid 70's with light rain expected tomorrow. I'm going to enjoy this weather while it lasts. Who knows, maybe next week the temperature will be back up in the 80's. But I'll keep the umbrella with me just in case.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is from Dot's sister. Evelyn. The big sister. Yup. Now what I have to say to you is this, sis. Look this sis. It ryhms. Savvy? Alright enough with the funnies. 80's degree is not that bad. I know it is hot and humid in your room. However think of this. It is not as bad as wearing a heavy gi (martial arts kimono) in 105 weather with 48% huminity, in a building with no A/C, where there are others who are also rolling around and getting hot and sweaty. Most of them are guys. Then I bet what you are feeling now isn't has bad huh? :P So, enjoy London. No matter the weather.