Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Explore Haunted London

London is considered one of the most haunted cities in the world. If one of your goals is to visit as many haunted sites as possible while in London, I recommend reading and bring Richard Jones' book Walking Haunted London: 25 Original Walks Exploring London's Ghostly Past with you.

Walking Haunted London offers twenty-five walking tours that will take you around London's haunted areas. There is the classic Jack the Ripper tour, the Tower of London, a tour through the famous areas like Westminster to Piccadilly, Covent Garden, Kensington to Notting Hill, Greenwich, as well as places a little farther off: Windsor and Eton and Pluckley: England's most haunted village. There are detailed maps that will show where to go. There is also well written instructions for each and every tour that will tell you were to go (especially which Tube station to take) but also give a background story of why the place is haunted and what are the ghostly occurrences to people report hearing and seeing.
Link
Richard Jones also has a website that provides more information about these specific tours as well as other London walking tours such as tours of Charles Dicken's London, which takes you around to the various places where Dicken's lived and the places that he included in his works. There is also a tour of the beautiful, yet haunted, Hampstead, a tour of Haunted Hotels of London, and much more.

I unfortunately left my copy of Walking Haunted London at home in the States when I went to London last year. However, I discovered Jones' website, which proved to be handy when I retraced the steps of the Jack the Ripper walking tour I took within the first month of my stay. The information really great and if I had more time I would have done more of his walking tours, especially one dedicated to Charles Dicken's.

If you would prefer to not to take a walking tour on your (or at lease till you learn your way around the city) there area literally hundreds of guided walking tours at reasonably prices. The one that is most popular and well-known is London Walks. I highly recommend them. My walking tours, the Jack the Ripper and the Harry Potter tour, were guided by great tour guides. I did not to my self-created walking tour of the houses of famous poets and authors or my retraced steps of Jack the Ripper until near the end of my six weeks stay when I new the city almost as well as the back of my hand.

No comments: