Thursday, June 22, 2006

Flying Over London

Today was pretty much all work and very little play. I've been working hard on a presentation for my class. I have to discuss two to three topics about the short story "The Jack Randa Hotel" by Alice Munro. After discussing some ideas with my teacher, I believe that I've come up with several good topics such as techniques, obsession (of someone), identity, and travel writing. I have my notes all typed up and now all I have to do is present it to the class.

Even though I spent the entire day in the computer lab, I was still able to unplug myself to eat dinner and go off to my next cultural event. Today it was the London Eye. The wheel was built for the Millennium and they were actually planning on tearing it down afterwards. Just like the Eiffel Tower. However, just like the Paris monument, the London Eye is now here to stay. Two other little facts to know is that it is officially called the British Airways London Eye, and so this means you're taking a "flight" not a "ride," and it is the tallest Ferris Wheel in the world. A word of advice, it would be good to book your flight at least a day in advance. You can either do this at the ticket office that is right across from the wheel or you can do it online.

Sarah S., Callie, Anne, Alexis, Courtney, and I took to the Tube to Westminster and walked across the bridge to the giant Ferris wheel. After going through the line and passing through the brief security point, the six of us and a few more people boarded a capsule. You have to move quickly to board the capsule cause it actually moves at a good steady pace. When you look at the wheel from any where along the Thames the wheel appears not to be moving, however once you are inside you can see and feel that you are moving at a good pace. The flight only takes 45 minutes and you fly 135 meters or 442.91 feet above the city skyline. The view was amazing! And yes, I did take pictures!

Once the flight was over, our little group split up. Only Sarah S., Alexis and I stayed on the pier and watched the sun set. It was so gorgeous to see the Parliament, Big Ben and the London Eye glow in the golden rays of the setting sun. It was beautiful.


Even though we would've liked to stay longer and explore the city by night, we left to get back to Atlantic House. Though, on the way back we had to treat ourselves to a Deliciousness before we had to go back to the computer lab to finish anything we had left for our classes. This was amazing and I can't wait to share it with you when I come home with all my pictures (the ones you see above are temporarily borrowed from elsewhere on the web).

No comments: