Thursday, July 13, 2006

Les Miserables

Tonight I saw Les Meserables. It was wonderful. The singing and acting was perfect. The man, John Owen-Jones, who played Jean Valjean also played the Phantom in The Phantom of the Opera when I saw it in London five years ago. Another note of John Owen-Jones - he is the only man in London to have the role as the Phantom. He did 14,000 performances! Anyway, back to Les Miserables. I loved the way they choreograph the entire performance. The stage is small, just ever so slightly tilted upwards in the back, and the center rotates. The lighting was also another part of the choreography. It sets the mood for the scene. When someone died a bright, white light shown on them representing their innocent life lost.

The one thing that I really didn't like was my seat. I got the ticket through the AIFS session C cultural event sign up, so it was only £15. The seat was located in the Stall (the first floor), but all the way in the back. This meant that the balconey above us was blocking the upper part of the stage. I never really saw anything that happend up in the top of the barricade. I was disspointed. I think that Callie and I are going to see it again on Friday - the day before we all go back to the States. I would really love to see the show one more time - with better seats.

No comments: