Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The Traveller Has Returned - Part II

Saturday morning, we all recieved a wake-up call at 7 AM. I of course naturally woke at 6:30 AM - my usual time. Even though I was on French time, which is one hour ahead of London - I still woke at 6:30! I took a long shower, since there was no one else wanting to use it of course. A note about this hotel - they do have hair dryers in the bathroom. However, they look like a vacum cleaner stuck on the wall, but they still work.

Breakfast is downstairs. They serve eggs, bacon, and sausage, a large amount of different types of croissants and sweet rolls, cheese, cereal and fruit. It was basically like the caferteria here, but minus the eggs and meat. When get to the dinning area, they ask for your room number, which they will check off, and then they'll tell what table you can sit at. It was a very nice.

After breakfast we all met downstairs for our bus tour of the city. On the tour we saw all the usual famous sites that Paris has to offer. We saw the Bastille monument representing the Revolution and the Bastille prison that use to stand on that site. We also saw Notre Dame, the Louvre, the Invalides where Napoleon's tombs is, the Eiffel tower, and much more. Our final destination was Notre Dame where got to go inside and struggle to listen to the tour guide talk about the interior of the cathedral. I didn't mind if I couldn't hear, I was too busy soaking everything in. Our tour offically ended out on the side of the cathedral where in the novel "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" Quasimodo's room was located. It was very interesting.

The group then went to a little souvenier shop to purchase some things and to use the bathroom. Then Christine, Callie, Cyndie, Abby, Tracy, and I found a place called Father and Son for lunch. After the usual panini, Abby and Tracy left us to go shopping while we went to the Sainte Chappelle church. There was a fee to get in, so only Callie went in. She is majoring in arcitecture and she did a big project on this church. When she came out she was so happy and said that she could go home right then and there cause she saw what she wanted to see.

After that Cyndie and Christine decided that they wanted to see the Moulin Rouge. I really didn't want to go cause I wanted to see the Opera House where the Phantom of the Opera was set, but I had no choice cause I didn't want to get lost. Got on the Metro and went to the station Chateau Rouge, which turned out not to be even near the caberet. So we just start walking in the general direction of where they thought it was. It turns out that the place wasn't even on the map that we were given.

After climbing several stairs we found ourselves at the Sacre Couer church and its panoramic view of Paris. It was amazing. We then did a little shopping at a little souvenier stand near the church, then we started looking for the caberet.

I finally got frustrated with getting lost, so I pull out my map book that actually showed where the place was and lead the rest down the hill and to the location. So finally, after three hours, we found the Moulin Rouge. To tie us over till dinner we got pastries from a patisserie around the corner. I bought a thing that was like a cake with heavy cream - it was probably a custard - with strawberries in it. It was very yummy and messy to eat.

From there we took the Metro back to the hotel. Christine and Cyndie got ready for their bike tour and Callie and I got ready for our Eiffel Tower event.

We got to the monument an hour before the meeting time and made a dinner out of a Panini Jambon - which has ham, mozzerella cheese, and tomatoes. Then we split a crepe with the Nutella spread which is a chocolate spread that has Hazelnut flavoring. (I like Cadbury Milk Chocolate spread better). Then we meet our tour manager and the rest of the group. Since there was a little over 25 five of us we got to stand in the group line, which much shorter than the individual ticket holder line.

We took the elevator cars to the the first level. There are actually two levels here. One is where you directly get off and can get in line for the elevator that goes to the very top, the second is a couple steps below where there is a better viewing gallery and a little cafe. Callie and I decided to, and really didn't have any choice really, to get in line for the top. After twenty minutes slowly making our way through the line and taking the elevator, we were now at the top of the Eiffel Tower. At this very moment the sparkling light show began. The tower is fitted with lights that will blink like sparkling crystals every hour once it gets dark and it will last for ten minutes. We walked around the entire place and saw the city of Paris at night. It was amazing.

About an hour and a half after we first went up, we were sitting on a ledge with a patch of grass taking pictures. It was there that a couple from New Jersey asked us to take their picture. They told us they were debating whether or not we spoke English. They were quite happy to know that we were from the States as well. So we took their picture and they took ours. Then we just sat there talking and waiting for the top of the hour to come around when the second light show would start.

In the mean time we learned more about the couple. They were here for their anniversary. But before they came to Paris they were in London to visit the husband's brother who was stationed right outside of the city. We told them about our study abroad program. Then we shared suggestions and knoweldge of both Paris and London. It was so nice to finally talk to someone from America and who spoke English. I was missing this while being in Paris. I can function in Paris, however my French consists of words that won't make complete sentences, leaving me feeling a little vulnerable. But I still survived.

After the light show and more pictures, Callie and I said bye to the couple and we headed to the Metro station and went back to the hotel. Back in my room, I managed to get into my PJs and the moment I got into bed I was out. I didn't even make it to the bathroom to brush my teeth, or to put my satchel or jewelery off the bed. After exploring the city from 8:30 AM to 11:30 PM, I'm not surprised that I was dead to the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Paris! Sounds great and your photos are AWESOME!