Saturday, July 22, 2006

Leaving London and Arriving in Texas

This was a extremely long day. It started out at 5 AM. I got up to get dress and to zip up my suitcase and inspected my room to make sure that I didn't leave anything. My ride to the airport wasn't going to arrive until 6 AM, but I got down stairs with my luggage at 5:15. There was a group of other students that had a ride to Heathrow at 5:30. Most of my friends had left for the airport at 4 AM. I actually woke at that time because of the mixture of the sound of the coach outside of the house and of the thunder from the storm that came through the city around that time.

As I waited for my ride to come I took pictures of Atlantic House before it started to rain again. At that time there was only one other person who was waiting for the same ride. When 6 AM came around there was three more. Everyone but me had had two big suitcases. We waited and waited for our ride to came. Finally twenty minutes past his arrival time our minibus driver came with three other people from Ambassador House. Student Services planned for seven people but they didn't plan for seven people's luggage. I was so happy that I only had one suitcase and a carry-on bag.

Somehow we managed to get all of the luggage and people into the minibus, but that didn't mean that we left for the airport immediately. The driver was talking to the security guard inside the house for ten whole minutes before we began to whistle and say that we needed to go. He finally comes out and we discover that he barely speaks English and that he didn't know how to get out of the area. We had to direct him towards High Street Kensington before he knew where he was going. Even then he began to run red lights.

All of us began to wonder if we were going to make it to the airport alive. But we soon found ouselves waiting in traffic to exit the motorway at the Gatwick exit. The driver asked us when our flights were, and we told him between 10 and 10:30 AM. He responded that we had plenty of time to get to the airport. It was 8 o'clock. We all told him "No" and that we needed to check early at least three hours before we take off. Thankfully, the driver began to make more of an effort to get through the traffic and we finally arrived at the north gate.

Inside the airport we got in line to check in at British Airways and then went through security. I didn't go straight to my gate. I went to do a little shopping. I got a chocolate bar and a British Flag from one shop and I bought two books from the bookstore and then a sandwhich from a EATS for breakfast. I then found my gate and the Yanoff sisters, who were once again flying with me.

The flight was actually quite nice. I had a window seat this time, which I never had before. I think there is actually a little more leg room by the window and you are able to lean up against wall. It was comfy. Though you have to plan when is the best time to go to the bathroom. Always went when the sisters went. I watched two movies, one was V for Vendetta and then Ice Age 2: The Melt Down. My headphones weren't very good and then I fell asleep at the end of both, so I don't know what happens at the end of the movies. The meals weren't as good as when I flew to London, but I still ate it. Overal, however, everything was nice, and we landed in Dallas nine hours later.

Going through passport control was easy and finding my suitcase was easy too. I was almost in the clear when the last guard to see decided that I needed to go through more customs. So I went through the double doors to the side and waited in line for about twenty minutes. As I was waiting I realized that I did have some candy in my suitcase that I completely forgotten about and didn't mention on my Declaration Card, but I don't think that was the problem. (I am still exactly why I was sent through those double doors.) By the time I through the line all that the guard did was look things up on the computer and ask some questions like what I was studying and if I had a connecting flight to Austin. I told him about my classes, that my parents were picking me up, and also that forgot to mention the candy in my bag. But that was the extent of it. He didn't ask to look through my bags and he actually walked me to the door and told me where to go.

Finally free from security and customs I go through the double doors that lead to the main area of the airport. I spotted my mom and dad immediately. I was so excited! After my dad took some pictures of me and Mom, we got into the car and left the airport. We went to Steak n Shake for lunch. I got to eat a great tasting meal (the first in a very long time) and I got to call my grandma to let her know that I made it back home safe and sound. Stomachs full of burgers, fries, onion rings, chili, and milkshakes, we then headed for Austin.

Four hours later we are siting with my sister Evie at my favorite Tex-Mex restaurant Chuy's for yet another wonderful meal and great big drinks. Then an hour and a half later I'm rummaging through my carry-on bag and handing out presents. I wanted to give my brothers their presents but they both left for camp today. I'll just have to wait until next week when they come back. The rest of the evening I lounged on the couch, watched TV, played with the cats and checked my email. But now it's time to hit the sack. My body is telling me that it is 4:30 AM instead of 11:30 PM. I'm going to have fun re-Americanizing myself this next few days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it back okay! This blog has been so awesome :)