Sunday, June 25, 2006

An Adventurous Day In The Convent Garden Area

Today started off with a late morning. Sunday has been officially deemed as the sleep in day. Sarah S., Callie and I made our way to one of our regular haunts, Leicester Square. There is a ticket booth there called TKTS. This is where you can find day of and discounted theater tickets. Today, Sarah S. and Callie bought Orcestra Stall tickets for the Blue Man Group for around £20 each. Very good deal. All three of us are going to TKTS tomorrow to get tickets to see The Phantom of the Opera.

Anyway, back to the Sunday's ventures. Tickets bought, we went to Oxford Street to appease my need to buy a new bag that would be able to carry all of my every day necessities for exploring the city. A good place to find bags, purses, or suitcases is at the London Luggage Co. at the corner of Oxford Street and Baker Street. I bought I a fantastic satchel with ripstop fabric, great pockets and zippers and enough space for everything and if not - it can expand. The best part too - it was on sale.

With my purchase out of the way, we hopped back onto the Tube and went to Covent Garden. We ate lunch, delicious sandwiches from the Tesco Express back on Gloucester, while we watched the street performers. With a couple hours to kill before the show we then wandered into the market, hoping to find any good deals on any presents for people back home. Unfortunately the wonderful handcrafted items were too expensive for three poor college students.

The Blue Man Group shows at the New London Theater. From Covent Garden it is simple to take Russel Street then turn left on Drury Lane, and the theater is on the right several blocks away. This is where I left the girls. I walked back to Covent Garden, where I visited the Disney Store and the Build-A-Bear Workshop before I went onto the Tube.

With some time to kill I decided to be bold and I ventured just slightly north of where I was. I took the Tube up to Tottenham Court Road. My destination - the Forbidden Planet Ltd. store. Taking the Tube was easy, I knew exactly where to go. However, upon getting to street level I was lost! Which way do I go? What street is that? Where are those street signs that are supposed to be on the sides of the buildings? I decided to go down one street, thinking it was the correct way, but it only took a block for me to realize that this wasn't the right path. So I back tracked and headed down the other busy street. Now I was heading in the right direction or so I thought.

After almost have ten to fifteen minutes I noticed that I was coming up to the Holborn Tube station. I had missed a turn and had gone too far. So I whipped out my street map, found an inconspicuous spot to stand and tried to figure out where I was. Thinking I finally had my directions down I headed back the way I had come, yet again. This time I found the street that I was to turn on and suddenly there on my right was the store. Hallelujah!

Now, Forbidden Planet Ltd. is a sci-fi store. There are Star Wars action figures, Ghostbuster items, Japenese anime stuff, and so much more. I was looking for one thing and one thing only. The Dr. Who section, and I found it. There were plenty of action figures for the new series that has just recently appeared in America. There were also a few items from the most favorite Doctor - Tom Baker. I wanted to buy something for me and my sister, but the prices were quite high. For any other Dr. Who fans out there, there are numerous other places in London that you can find Dr. Who items such as Argos and Hamley's.

Satisfied in seeing what was available, I walked back to the Tube and returned to Kensington. In the peacefulness of my room, I took a quick nap, read the book "On The Road" by Jack Kerouac for class, transfered everything from my old bag to my new one, and finally went to the computer lab to send emails and work on the blog.

With my usual friends I went to Pizza Hut on High Street in Kensington for dinner where Sarah and Callie told me all about the Blue Man Group. We and two other girls had the special of buy one pizza get a second for half price. For five starved people, it was a good deal. We ate all of the two large pizzas. One note about Pizza Hut in London - a Margarita pizza, which is normally the traditional Italian pizza of cheese, tomatos and basil, is actually what we Americans would call a regular cheese pizza.

Afterwards Sarah and I treated ourselves with a Deliciousness. A perfect way to end a busy day.

No comments: