Friday, June 30, 2006

Two Days - One For Work. The Other For Play

Thursday was all work and no play. After watching The Motorcylce Diaries (if you haven't seen this movie, do so) and staying for the entire three hours of class, and eating lunch, I was then in the computer lab. I was typing up my creative writing project. I decided to go for a story feel, but made up of a series of journal entries. I was in the library until some fellow students and I were kicked out at closing, then I was in the other computer lab with three of my other classmates. We were there until fourty-five minutes passed closing until our favorite (sarcasm) security guard kicked us out despite the fact that we were still working on our portfolios that were due in the morning.

So out in the commons Cyndie, Tracy, Meghan, and I hand wrote all of our projects until four in the morning. We trudged upstairs to our beds and slept for three hours. Then, skipping breakfast, we trudged back downstairs and typed up any remaining work and studied for our exam. With five minutes to spare we got to our classroom.

The test was OK. There were two sections. One section was a close reading where we had to read these two paragraphs from a previously unseen story and then write an essay about word use, imagery, sentence and paragraph structure, the narrative voice and how all of this worked together towards the writer's arguement. The second section was where we got to pick from a list of essay questions and write an essay to answer it drawing examples from at least two short stories that we've previouly read. Overall, it was easy. With only an hour and forty mintues, I wish we had more time. But despite all of that I think I did very well. We get to pick up our portfolio with our grades later from the advisor's office.

After the test was over and done, I went back to my place and took a well deserved shower and I attempted to take a nap, but when I closed my eyes I felt like I was spinning. I think it was because of my lack of sleep and because I had just escaped a whirlwind of work to finish this class.

After lunch, the school's version of fish and chips, Sarah, Callie and I went to Westminster Abbey, and actually got in this time. It costs £6 for students, but it was worth it. It was amazing and gorgeous inside. I got to see Queen Elizabeth I's and Queen Mary's tomb and the tombs for other royals. However, my favorite part of this visit was when I got to the Poet's Corner. My mouth dropped when I saw the tombs or memorials for all of the authors and poets that I've read over the course of my life. Dickens, George Elliot, Tennyson, Burns, Keats, Shelley, Lewis Carol, Browning, Chaucer (his tomb was very small, surprisingly. Maybe he was a small man), and so much more. People from my two British Literature classes, I saw almost all of the names of authors and poets here. It was amazing!

After Wesminster, we walked along the Thames next to the Tower of London, which by the way costs £12 for students or £13 for adults, but if you really want to see the inside open up your wallet, it's worth it. Anyway, after taking a few pictures of Tower Bridge, we headed back to Atlantic for dinner.

No comments: